Welcome to the Guardians CCG Page

This is a site dedicated to the Guardians collectible card game released by FPG in the mid '90s. This was a great game featuring beautiful artwork and a complex battle system. The game is now out of print and some cards are extremely difficult to find.

Here you will find alternate rules and game mods (including solo play), homebrew cards, and links to other Guardians sites.

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bribery Mechanic solution for Solo 2.0

So I've been struggling with the Bribery mechanic for Solo Adventures 2.0...in the first edition it falls to the player to decide when the opponent's Bribery should be used. My goal was to take this out of the player's hand and automate it. I think I have a solution.

How it works is as follows: when an encounter happens and Bribery is in effect, and before combat starts, the top card of the Bribery deck is turned over. The player separates all his creatures that are bribeable by that Bribery type and assigns a number to each. Then simply roll dice and remove the creature that corresponds to the number you assigned. Here's an example:

My Shield consists of my Champion (Old Nick), Zombie, Rye Beaner, Baal-a-gog, Vesuvious Rex, and Cleric. I turn over Babes Bribery. Remembering that my Champion is not bribeable, Zombie is also not bribeable, and Cleric is only bribeable by Gold, I assign 1-2 to Rye Beaner, 3-4 to Baal-a-gog, and 5-6 to Vesuvious Rex, I roll a 5. Vesuvious Rex is bribed. Combat now ensues as normal with no further bribery from the opponent, while the player may still bribe creatures.

This allows for a Bribery mechanic that isn't too complicated and still affects the player's combat hand. Now if I can just figure out a similar mechanic for channeling and ranged attacks...

No comments: